The New Hope-Solebury School District recognizes that parents/guardians have the primary responsibility for the health of their children. Although the District strongly recommends that when medication is needed, it be given at home, we also recognize that the health of some children requires that they receive medication while in school. Parents/guardians should confer with the child’s physician to arrange medication time intervals to avoid school hours whenever possible. When medication absolutely must be given during school hours, the following procedures must be followed:
All medications (prescription, over-the-counter and homeopathic) must:
- be brought to school by an adult and delivered to the Health Office.
- be in the original container with pharmacy label (no loose pills in bags/envelopes), including inhalers and Epi-pens.
- be accompanied by a completed NHSSD medication dispensing form signed by a parent/guardian and prescribing doctor or with paper or faxed copies of medication orders including written signature. No phone or email orders accepted.
- be counted and signed for by an adult if medication is a controlled substance.
- New forms must be completed each school year AND if there is a change in medication or dosage.
- A parent/guardian may come to school to administer medication to their child if the required medication dispensing form is not completed.
- Under no circumstances will the first dose of an antibiotic be given at school due to the risk of an adverse reaction.
- The School Nurse reserves the right to withhold administration of over-the-counter (OTC) medication within the first two hours and the last one hour of the school day to protect the student from excessive medication ingestion.
Self administration of Emergency Medication (Asthma inhalers and Epipens)
- A Self-Administration of Medication Form must be completed by both the prescribing doctor and a parent/guardian.
- Students must report to the Health Office after all self-administration of medication for follow- up and evaluation.
William Moore MD/ School Physician
Elizabeth Simon RN MEd NCSN
Alane Hemberger RN MEd NCSN