Guidance: How to Address Lice
- Check all family members for lice or nits (lice eggs) in a well- lit area, using a magnifying glass, if available.
- Treat hair with pediculicide, following the package directions. Be sure to treat hair over the sink using a towel to cover the eyes. Do NOT treat hair in bathtub or shower.
- If child has nits (lice eggs), add a small amount of vinegar to rinse water, then wrap hair in warm towel for 30 minutes
- After treatment, remove all nits and/or live lice with fine-tooth comb or fingernails. Be sure to put removed lice/nits in a plastic bag and to dispose immediately.
- Machine wash all clothing and bed linens the child has used in last 3 days in HOT water and dry in HOT dryer. This includes coats, hats, scarves and towels.
- Put pillows and stuffed animals that the child sleeps with in a HOT dryer
- Soak combs, brushes, rollers, barrettes, head bands and other hair items in HOT soapy water for 1 hour or soak them in pediculicide
- Vacuum floors, rugs, upholstered furniture, mattresses and car seat. Empty vacuum bag immediately.
- Check package directions on pediculicide for possible re-treatment in 7-10 days.
- Consult with your child’s doctor if nits reappear and/or if your child has any allergies (environmental, seasonal, medication, or food).
- Notify the school nurse to have your child checked before coming back to class.
Please note: Routine checks should be completed at home throughout the school year.