Welcome to the Physical Education and Health Department
Physical Education is an integral part of the total education process of the New Hope-Solebury School District. The focus of the program is to prepare and motivate all students to engage in activities, which promote health and physical well being. Physical Education is that phase of the general education program that contributes to the total growth and development of each child primarily through movement experiences.
Our physical education program will help children become competent in a variety of motor skills and movements. Children will experience a broad variety of movement activities and develop an understanding of movement principles, which include body awareness, space awareness, and qualities of movement.
At New Hope-Solebury Upper Elementary all of the 3-5 grade students attend physical education class 3 consecutive days within our specials roation for 45 min. Our physical education program centers increased attention on human wellness and healthful living. Teaching for wellness involves teaching concepts that help students develop an active lifestyle. The physical education program will provide children with an opportunity to participate in activities designed to develop and maintain personal health through physical activity and fitness. Students will develop an understanding of how to maintain wellness throughout life.
At NHS, we hope that by participating in our physical education program, children will enjoy being active, learn important fitness concepts, develop good social skills, and maintain a positive self-concept.
In PE it is NOT about winning and losing…after all, it’s just a GAME!
Keep on trying and NEVER GIVE UP!
The ONE PE Rule…
MUSIC- We listen to music every day in PE. Music will start and stop with activity.
- When the MUSIC is on=Kids time to play, interact, and talk amongst themselves
- When the MUSIC is off=my time for directions or to highlight a skill from a student
- When the MUSIC stops students STOP, DROP & LISTEN
- When the MUSIC is on students may get a drink without permission
- When the MUSIC is on students may use the bathroom but need to let the teacher know first
- When the MUSIC is off students should not ask to get a drink or use the bathroom (as this is when instruction is taking place)
Life-long Learning Activities:
- Rock Wall: 60 ft. traverse wall
- In-Line Skating: Over 60 pairs of skates w/ sizes 11 Y-11 A.
- Biking: 30 Trek bikes w/ 7 gears